Frequently Asked Questions
- What is this graph DB hype/bloat? I just want a slick & mean media center, no need for yet another DB...
Well, you can do without it although it's not recommended. Smewt has currently 2 backends for the storage:
- one which is stored in memory and is about as optimized as can be; this backend gets synchronized to disk using simple file access.
- another one, based on Neo4j, where all the data is always persistent and all the changes are done in transactions. This means that
in event of a crash, you won't lose anything.
In the end, it's up to you to decide whether you want to sacrifice a few spare CPU cycles to ensure you data is safe or not.
(Note: at the moment the only backend available is the memory
one. We are working hard to get the Neo4j backend available as soon as possible...)
- So, what about privacy? I don't want the list of my files to be uploaded everywhere on the web...
We do understand that privacy is a big issue nowadays and we respect
that entirely. Smewt only sends the minimum amount of information
required to be able to fetch data from the web. It doesn't use the
filenames, but first analyzes them and extracts the useful information
out of them. That is, for a movie it will only query online sources with
the probable name of the movie it could extract from the filename,
nothing else. For an episode, it only uses the name of the series and
the season/episode number.
Also rest assured that even if in the future Smewt could make use of
more detailed information, it would warn you explicitly before going
any further and any such feature would be opt-in, meaning that it
would be activated only in the case that you explicitly said you agree
to it. We will never try to sneak stuff out of your computer without
your full consent.
- When will feature X/Y/Z be implemented?
You can already find a tentative
If you have a more specific question, you are always welcome to get in
touch with us.
- How can I contact the developers?
Please report any bug or feature request at the
Github issue page.